Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Luther

Sunday was Luther's Birthday. It does not look at day over ------. Well as part of my gift I made vega carrot cake cupcakes and vegan ice cream. I thought I would share my prep. I actually enjoy cooking and always aim to be vegan. One thing I thought about as I was making this is ohhhhhhhhh the sugar but let's not think about that now, here is my pictorial of the prep.

The Carrot Cake Recipe came from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick - Goudreau.  It is a great cookbook and she just released two other books that I will definitely be buying soon since I already have her Vegan Table which is awesome as well.  One thing I defnitely notice when I look at this picture is the whiteness ( no grain) so the next time I make this I will be making it wtih half wheat flour to add a little heartiness to it along with raw sugar instead of the white.  Everyone really enjoyed them and would not have even  guessed it was vegan which is a compliment among my animal eating family and friends!





I really like the colors in the above pictures it is just awesome. I cut down on my prep time by buying shoestring carrots already cut for me.
Mad three dozen cupcakes for the party! All of them were able to travel nicely in this cupcake carrier that I got from Williams Sonoma.  If you aare a cupcake party making chef or a mom with kids and always tasked with making cupcakes this will be very handy for you.  I have used it twice and it is very handy and ensures the icing is untouched and can easily place the trays in the fridge if needed. 
I am not overly fun of icing hence the cupcakes are not engulged in it. It is a nice accent so you can actually taste the cupcake and the icing at the same time.  I oh so hate when the icing is as tall as the cupcake.  I end up cutting the icing off the top and trashing it and leaving thin layer of icing. 

No comments: