Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Christmast Letter 2009

This year started off with me attending the inauguration of the 44th president of the United States ---Barrack Obama. I had the honor of attending it with the man that I am now dating whom I will call from this point on Sunflowers per his request to remain anonymous to the world wide web. I was in the throng of thousands of people it was my chance to be a part of an historic moment in American History and Global Politics – I was humbled to be alive to witness this moment, Thank you Father.

Spring came and I ushered in my 33rd birthday at home with mom, Luther, Rodrecus, his fiancĂ©e Katrina and Sunflowers. Oh and Patches, the world’s best cocker spaniel. In the spring I also received acceptance into Morehouse School of Medicine Master of Public Health Program. The day I received the letter I got to share the moment with Sunflowers. We officially started dating in May give or take and Katrina became my sister-in-law as well.

I excitedly went through the summer waiting in expectation for the school year to start. School started in August. I am on the Epidemiology track meaning in one more year I will be an epidemiologist. What is an Epidemiologist? It is and I will soon be a scientist who studies the outbreak, frequency, distribution, and control of communicable diseases. And you know me those studies will be global, preferably on the continent of Africa.

My grandmother died in September. I was thankful to have had the opportunity to see her for her birthday in August and that Sunflowers was able to accompany me. I wanted him to meet her. It meant a lot to me then and even more now that she is gone. She left some pretty intelligent, educated, and respectful children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. May our daily lives speak to the work she put into each of us and may that be her legacy.

God has been awesome to me. He allowed me to gracefully finish my first semester with a 3.6 GPA, maintain my job and keep Sunflowers happily engaged. The last one is kind of a nice bonus. God is pretty cool about giving us not only what we ask for but sometimes just out of His sheer love for us, He gives us what we do not ask for.

It is the week of Christmas. I am not where I had planned to be and it just really hit me that I will not get the only thing I wanted for Christmas. I attempt to comfort myself with knowing that I must be where God would have me to be at this moment and enduring what He knows I can handle. It has taken and will probably continue to take a few (really a lot of bo hooing) tears, mental consultations and letting go to realize that however I am trying. I am thankful for the comfort that God brings and I will be thankful when this time has passed.

Over the course of the year I have had friends and family edit my interest letter for graduate school, reassure me of the calling God has on my life, pray for and with me and to just listen to me. They have all been very precious to me and for that I am thankful. I look forward to a new year of great possibilities, growth in myself spiritually and mentally and the privilege to share it all with people whom I get to share my gift of love to and whom get to share their gift of love to me.

No comments: