Friday, January 13, 2012

Chickens

Yesterday I was in North Georgia.  There are a lot of chicken plants in this area.  On the way back I was behind a tractor trailor with cages and cages of live chickens.  There feathers were flying back  towards me as I was driving.  My thought was wow a lot of chickens and then I became really emotional and sad and teary eyed as I thought those chickens are going toward their death and then to someone's table, it sadden me deeply.  I am already vegetarian but I have never had such an emotional response to thinking of an animal's impending death.  I thought of how they were breed to die for someone to eat.  I am getting a little emotional now as I express this in words but the actual experience was very reflective to me.  As I reflect on it more  and a little then Christ was born to die for my sins and how much His death means to me and each person that accepts Him as their Savior.  I need to live each day in thankfulness of His sacrifice.  Unless an animal or a person is making that kind of sacrifice, I do not want them or it to die.  Death is serious.  It means that person or animal is no longer on this earth, and the question arises - is it worth it.  Should something die for me to casually it on my table, I have not eaten dead animals in over twenty years never as I result of thinking of the humanity of it but as a healthier living choice but now I can say it is both especially since I live in a country that I  have easy access to a non animal diet and my body can live without eating the flesh of another animal.

I had a really cool experience last night when I got back from my trip.  I had dinner with a friend and I recounted the above experience with her.  She asked a few questions about my diet and the question that got me was Do I eat eggs? and I said occasionally but not as a normal occurance.  And she so easily said well you do not eat dead animals but essentially you abort them from ever being born by eating eggs.  A light bulb went off and I said to myself I will NEVER eat an egg again.  By eating eggs I essentially economically encourage the porduction of chickens to produce eggs that will never live to become little chicks.  So that was that, her simple and so easily spoken statement has changed my diet for ever!!!  thanks Ms. C.  I appreciate the ease of your revelation to me and I hope you have many more to share in the days, months and years to come!

1 comment:

greanbeens said...

Orz Maloorz.. I admire your ability to declare your stance on subjects and stick by your decision to support or not support... It's funny that the one comment gave you a new resolve on life. I, however, tend to make strong declarations in my mind, then fail to follow through. I'll get it together one day!!