Sunday, June 26, 2011

Kaiser Permanente

This week I had my annual physical.  It was my first one using a Kaiser health center.  Last, October Kaiser no longer allowed me to choose a physician outside of their network.  It took me until now  to get over my discontent of managed care and to make an appointment for a physical.  I tend to schedule one every 6 months because that is what the AMA advises and my insurance pays for it so if they pay for it must be something I should do.

Well my experience did not exceed my expectations.  Unfortunately it made me realized even more why I do not support managed care providers.   They were on time and I did not wait more than 5 minutes and I was actually early.  That was a good thing.  I go in put on the infamous examination gown.  The doctor comes says hello and sits at the computer and starts asking me a list of uniform questions that I had already answered on the information sheet that I had completed and was clipped chart beside the computer.  She never looked at it.  I am steadily looking at her waiting for her to look at me.  It does not happen.  She then begins to examine me.  No engaging conversation all very formal. And she still does not look at me.  There is no eye contact.  She performs the pap smear and she begins to leave and when she tells me she will be back to let me know the results of my urine test.  I then follow up and tell her in my experience at a physical you do some blood work ( oh let me preface this by saying I had not fasted and could not take the glucose test however other test were up for grabs) to test for everyknown STD, my anemia that I am known to have and a number of other issues that I would think you should follow up on in response to the list of questions she asked at the beginning.  Her response to me  was  'based on your responses and at at certain age and based on your answers on your health behavior  I did see the need for further blood test'.  Are you serious.  My first thought was I could just be telling you what is acceptable.  You have not even taken the time to look at me to engage with me in my health.  Who after while in that experience would feel comfortable telling their doctor they have more than one sexual partner, engage if illicit drug use,  binge drink, never exercise and over eats all the time.  Really!!!!!

So of course when she comes back and tell me my urine test was fine.  Meaning you are not pregnant.  Oh wow however I felt about that outcome she has no idea.  She does not know that I may be devastated by that news, I could have been trying for months (please know that is not the case).  But what if.  And what if it was the complete opposite that I was pregnant and that would be some serious devastation however I would not based on how I was treated during  course of the exam feel comfortable sharing that.  I feel she failed to provide me the best health care that she was able to provide.  Health is more than the absence of disease.  It is my whole being.

This experience makes me think about the Health Care Form Act.  It makes me  question the benefit of the universal coverage if the quality of that care is as good as my experience with Kaiser a health insurance that I actually pay for.  I am what I would consider a pretty informed person and tend to take an active role in my health through reading, asking and questioning decisions and recommendations made in regards to my health.  What will happen to the person that comes into the office and says all the acceptable answers and an opportunity to reach him/her has been missed because you have not engaged them and they have only told you what they think you want to hear.  They will end up not being any better off than if they did not have any health insurance in my opinion. I am all for universal coverage, my concern is making sure that care is beneficial to the recipient.  At this point I do not think my care was as good as it needs to be or should be at Kaiser.  I miss my former doctor who looked at me, engaged me, encouraged me and TALKED to me and LISTENED to me that is priceless.  Kaiser I need you to be better. 

No comments: